Makes just over 1-1/4 cups icing
Prep Time- 15 minutes
3 cups India Tree Powdered Sugar (one 12-oz Package)
1 tablespoon meringue powder (.225 oz)
1/4 cup HOT water (2oz)
Drops India Tree Nature’s Colors Decorating Colors
Standup mixer with whisk
Metal off-set Spatula
Pastry bags and fitments and/or assorted squeeze bottles
1. Measure the sugar and meringue powder into a medium-sized bowl.
2. Sift the sugar/meringue powder mix into the bowl of a standup mixer with a whisk attachment, approximately one-half cup at a time. Use the back of a large spoon to break up any clumps and to force the sugar through the sieve.
3. Add hot water to the meringue powder and sugar, a little at a time, while mixing at medium speed. Scrape down the sides of the bowl often. Continue mixing, until the icing forms peaks when the whisk is lifted out.
4. Transfer the icing into an airtight container. Use immediately or store at room temperature for up to two weeks, or in the refrigerator or freezer for longer.
5. Stir to restore original consistency, but do not beat again. While working with royal icing, cover the bowl with a damp cloth or plastic wrap to prevent drying.
6. Divide the stiff icing into separate bowls for each color. Icing should be at room temperature when color is added.
7. Colors should be at room temperature. Shake each vial of coloring vigorously before each use.
8. Add India Tree Natural Decorating Colors a few drops at a time, stirring well with flexible spatula after each addition. Color will deepen as it dries
9. When you have achieved the desired color, stir, stir, and stir scraping the bottom and sides of the container with the spatula, making certain that the color is distributed throughout the icing.
10. To thin the icing for flooding, ass more hot water, a few drops at a time. After each addition of water, repeat the process in Step 5.